I heard someone recently say that it would be great to be a kid again if we could know all that we know now. I totally and quickly agreed. I have been thinking about this for whatever reason, maybe I really don't have enough to do, and then maybe I would rather sit and ponder life's mysteries than fold that same towel I have been folding every week for the past 16 years. Who knows, but as I sit and watch my kids be kids there is a twinge of bitter-sweetness to this idea of doing it all over again with all of my "wisdom".
If I could go back and do it again as a 30-something year old in a kid's body what would I gain and what would I miss. I am sure that I would have a better understanding that boys sometimes hit you because they "really like you" and then sometimes they hit you just because they are mean. I would better understand that time goes so quickly and we should soak it all up and enjoy every minute while it is here. I would better understand that I truly should not care what others think of me. Maybe I would get that a size 2 is not fat just because there is a size 0. Honestly if zero is truly the lack of existence then in reality NOBODY wears a 0. It's just Liz Claiborne's way of having something to amuse herself with.
I would know the reasons that drugs and alcohol are such a taboo. I would have spent more time going on dates with whatever guy asked me and my really good guy friends and less time with a boyfriend. I would have asked Donovan Bushman out on one date, after all he was one of my best friends and we would have had so much fun. There is so much that would make more sense if all kids had a 30-something mind and a kid body.
BUT, as I watch my kids play with the uninhibited nature that they have, I realize that life is simple for them. They have a true innocence that I can only dream of. They don't understand and know all that I know. Instead, they love life to the fullest because they have not had the pitfalls and hurt that make us learn all that we know in our 30's. They are so pure and trusting in what they do.
It is then that I realize that I wish instead that I had just a little more kid in me! Maybe as a 30-something I take myself and life too seriously. Oh, to be a kid again....no thanks...but what if I could just love with all my being, play with all of my heart, trust with all my soul and have as much fun as if I were a kid again!
Well, those towels won't fold themselves.... so off to the real world of the 30's :o)



6 comments:
I LOVE THE WAY YOU PUT THINGS INTO WORDS.
I THINK YOU HIT ON THE KEY, IT IS NOT TO WISH TO GOING BACK TO BE A KID AGAIN, BUT IN REMEMBERING HOW TO BE A KID "SOMETIMES" NO MATTER WHAT AGE WE ARE.
HEY, WE ALL GROW OLDER, BUT WE DON'T HAVE TO TOTALLY GROW UP?
Hey Tricia, this is Heather, Hollie's sister! I found you through her, hope you don't mind!
I love this post. I have been thinking about this too lately, probably because the kids are out for summer and being a kid in the summer time .......... is there anything better!?! I am trying to live my summer like a kid. ALL OUT!!!
I never knew you liked Donovan in that way?!?!
Hmm....weird how things turn out.
Do you have anyone elses blog addresses that I would know??
Love ya!
I am with you all the way on this one.
Super cute picture and great post. I have always taken myself way too seriously and have been trying to figure out how to not do that any more. Becoming more child like is definitely part of it. How wonderful it would be to just relax and find joy in the simplest things.
Post a Comment