Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Goodbye Grandma

I flew out to California a few weeks ago because my Grandma on my mom's side passed away after a few years of being in a home suffering through the late stages of Alzheimer's. It was a very solemn event, as funerals usually are. My uncle David did a great job of taking care of all of the details. Being the only person that was able to go out to help take care of the last few details I was blessed to be able to help with a lot of the final details.


It was neat to be able to help design the headstone and David let me choose the wording and the scripture for it. I chose the scripture in the first chapter of Enos that talks about rejoicing in the day that our mortal shall put on immortality and stand before Him. Well, you can imagine my surprise when I read the words " And I rejoice in the day that my mortal shall put on immorality..." Ok, so that "t" is pretty important....it's funny and ironic to me because, as you all know, I credit my grandmother for my love and attention to words and spelling. Somehow you just have to laugh at it all....I am sure she is just incensed by the whole thing. Actually I am sure she has many more important things to worry about, so I will be incensed for her :o)

I did get to dress her and prepare her body for burial. The RS president and another sweet sister from the ward came to help me. This is not my first experience with this type of preparation, but it is my first for someone that needed to be buried in temple clothes. My uncle David (who is not an active member) called me before I flew out to the funeral and read off the list of items on the receipt of clothes that were sent to him. I noticed a few things missing. Being short of time I just took the needed items from my own bag. It was awesome to take care of her one last time and to dress her in a few things that were mine.

I was always so close to my Grandma and those of you who have followed my posts know that I have posted pictures from her life in earlier posts. I have missed her over these past few years of her deterioration, but I am so happy to know that she is happy again and busy working. She loved working in the temple and was alway an example of this to me. I can only imagine she is just continuing in the work she has always loved!

I love you Grandma and will rejoice in the day that we reunite!!!

No comments: